Re: updatable/deletable terminology - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Karl O. Pinc
Subject Re: updatable/deletable terminology
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 08/07/2013 08:19:03 PM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> We have these two error messages:
>
> To make the view updatable, provide an unconditional ON UPDATE DO
> INSTEAD rule or an INSTEAD OF UPDATE trigger.
>
> and
>
> To make the view updatable, provide an unconditional ON DELETE DO
> INSTEAD rule or an INSTEAD OF DELETE trigger.
>
> I think it's a bit strange to claim that adding a DELETE rule/trigger
> makes a view *updatable*.  I suspect someone thought they would apply
> the term "updatable" in an SQL standard sense, but that seems
> backwards,
> because you get to these error conditions exactly because the view as
> defined was not Updatable(tm).

Isn't the problem here that you need a word, instead of "updateable",
to indicate that table content may be changed (insert/update/
delete) through the view?

So...   "to allow the view to influence table content"

Karl <kop@meme.com>
Free Software:  "You don't pay back, you pay forward."                -- Robert A. Heinlein