updatable/deletable terminology - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject updatable/deletable terminology
Date
Re: updatable/deletable terminology  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
We have these two error messages:

To make the view updatable, provide an unconditional ON UPDATE DO INSTEAD rule or an INSTEAD OF UPDATE trigger.

and

To make the view updatable, provide an unconditional ON DELETE DO INSTEAD rule or an INSTEAD OF DELETE trigger.

I think it's a bit strange to claim that adding a DELETE rule/trigger
makes a view *updatable*.  I suspect someone thought they would apply
the term "updatable" in an SQL standard sense, but that seems backwards,
because you get to these error conditions exactly because the view as
defined was not Updatable(tm).

Or perhaps "deletable" isn't such a good word here?

Maybe "To enable updates/deletions in the view, ..."?