Are UseDeclareFetch and UseServerSidePrepare mutually exclusive? - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From ljwilson
Subject Are UseDeclareFetch and UseServerSidePrepare mutually exclusive?
Date
List pgsql-odbc
I've seen conflicting information on this:
http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/Improve-ODBC-Throughput-tp2189601p2189614.html
<http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/Improve-ODBC-Throughput-tp2189601p2189614.html>

What I see with the latest source tree in my test environment of two windows
workstations, each using the latest compiled odbc drivers (09.01.02??) to
connect to PostgreSQL 9.2.4 (Windows):

1. With UserDeclareFetch=1 and UseServerSidePrepare=0, works as it always
has for me.
2. With UserDeclareFetch=0 and UseServerSidePrepare=1, works as it always
has for me.
3. With UserDeclareFetch=1 and UseServerSidePrepare=1, the first workstation
that opens the database "wins". Then the second workstation cannot open the
database on its own connection until the first workstation exits its
program.

If I use pgadmin3 to monitor a table--if a workstation with
UserDeclareFetch=1 and UseServerSidePrepare=1 enters data into the table,
pgadmin3 will not show the new data until the workstation exits. It's like
the workstation has an exclusive lock on the table when UserDeclareFetch=1
and UseServerSidePrepare=1.

I'm not questioning the behavior, but I'd like to understand it and maybe
get it documented so a user doesn't accidentally set up the switches such
that it takes a while to figure out what is going on.

Thanks...jack