Re: The postgres database -- necessary? If so, how to cleanse? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: The postgres database -- necessary? If so, how to cleanse?
Date
List pgsql-general
=?iso-8859-1?Q?Ren=E9_Fournier?= <m5@renefournier.com> writes:
> I accidentally imported lots of data into the postgres database via something like:
> psql -U postgres -q -f super_massive_database_dump.sql

> Now, although I've manually dropped all the tables -- and \d+ shows
> nothing -- there are still various views, functions, etc that must
> account for a lot of disk space. From \l+, I see that postgres still
> occupies 65GB.

[ raised eyebrow ... ]  It's pretty hard to conceive of system catalogs
occupying 65GB.  You might want to look into where that number is coming
from.  (Large objects maybe?)

> So my question is, what's the easiest way to reclaim
> that space? Can I drop postgres and just recreate it?

Yeah, if you want.

            regards, tom lane