Re: reporting reason for certain locks - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: reporting reason for certain locks
Date
Re: reporting reason for certain locks
List pgsql-hackers
> No, what I was suggesting was taking the existing function:
> extern void pgstat_report_waiting(bool waiting);
> ...and instead doing something like this:
> extern void pgstat_report_waiting(char *reason);
> ...and then arrange to pass the reason via the eponymous argument.

The question is how many cycles are we willing to expend on preparing a
reason string that (in approximately 99.9% of the calls) will not be
of any use.  It would be much better to avoid doing this and instead
expend the extra work on the inspection side.