Re: INSERT... WHERE - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Johnston
Subject Re: INSERT... WHERE
Date
List pgsql-general
Robert James wrote
> On 1/13/13, Chris Angelico <

> rosuav@

> > wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 3:37 PM, Robert James <

> srobertjames@

>> wrote:
>>> Thanks.  But how do I do that where I have many literals? Something
>>> like:
>>>
>>> INSERT INTO seltest (id, a, b) SELECT (1,2,3),(4,5,6),(7,8,9) WHERE b
>>> IN (SELECT ...)
>>
>> You can use WITH clauses in crazy ways with PostgreSQL. I haven't
>> actually tried it, but you should be able to put your VALUES behind a
>> WITH, then SELECT from that WHERE blah blah, and INSERT that SELECT.
>>
>> As they say, knock yourself out! :)
>>
>> ChrisA
>

> I don't quite follow - could you please elaborate?

INSERT INTO table_abc (a, b, c)

WITH values_to_insert (a, b, c) AS (
    VALUES (1,2,3), (4,5,6), (7,8,9)
)

SELECT a, b, c
FROM values_to_insert
WHERE a = 4

;

See:  http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/interactive/sql-values.html
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/interactive/sql-values.html>   for more
detail on "VALUES".  Basically it provides a way to build an on-the-fly
table and can be used wherever a normal table can be used (though usually it
takes some aliasing to get meaningful names).

David J.