Re: allow a user to see current_query in pg_stat_activity in 8.4 - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From ynux
Subject Re: allow a user to see current_query in pg_stat_activity in 8.4
Date
List pgsql-admin
Hi.
Your question was:

>> We want to create a role used by a monitor to check for "<IDLE> in
>> Transaction" with the most restrictive permissions we can on a 8.4.13
>> instance.
>
>> The user has been granted connect privilege to the database and some
>> limited permissions to user tabhles that need to be monitored. But
>> pg_stat_activity shows only "<insufficient privilege>"

I had the same problem, wondered how nagios does it, and found this:
https://github.com/elecnix/nagios-postgresql/blob/master/pg_stat_activity.sql

It works perfectly for me, on 8.4.12 though.
Make sure to run it in the database your monitoring user connects to, and do
not use template1. You may have to "create language plpgsql;" first.

Regards, Ynux