Re: [WIP] pg_ping utility - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [WIP] pg_ping utility
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2012-11-26 at 13:14 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I would normally agree with this analysis, but pg_ctl -w certainly
> need this ping functionality, so it kind of makes sense that others
> might need it too.

Sure, PQping is useful for this very specific use case of seeing whether
the server has finished starting up.  If someone came with a plausible
use case for a startup script that couldn't use pg_ctl but wanted ping
functionality available in a shell script, then pg_ping could be
provided.  But that would also determine what options to provide.  For
example, we might not need repeated ping in that case.

But I think people see PQping and will see pg_ping as a monitoring
facility, and I think that's a mistake.