Re: Patch: shouldn't timezone(text, timestamp[tz]) be STABLE? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Patch: shouldn't timezone(text, timestamp[tz]) be STABLE?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I wrote:
> Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander@timescale.com> writes:
>> [ why is timetz_zone volatile? ]

Ah ... after a bit of digging in the git history, I found this [1]:

Author: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
Branch: master Release: REL8_1_BR [35979e6c3] 2005-09-09 06:51:12 +0000

    Given its current definition that depends on time(NULL), timetz_zone
    is certainly no longer immutable, but must indeed be marked volatile.
    I wonder if it should use the value of now() (that is, transaction
    start time) so that it could be marked stable.  But it's probably not
    important enough to be worth changing the code for ... indeed, I'm not
    even going to force an initdb for this catalog change, seeing that we
    just did one a few hours ago.

I wasn't excited enough about it personally to change it, and I'm
still not --- but if you want to, send a patch.

            regards, tom lane

[1] https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git&a=commitdiff&h=35979e6c3