Re: problem with recreating database with export - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dennis Gearon
Subject Re: problem with recreating database with export
Date
Re: problem with recreating database with export  (Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie>)
Re: problem with recreating database with export  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com>)
Re: problem with recreating database with export  (Leif Biberg Kristensen <leif@solumslekt.org>)
List pgsql-general
<note to future>
To anyone reading this in the future, if you have problems importing a plain text database export, it is usually impossible to do:
psql -d some_dbase -f the_backup.sql. I don't know why. What works is doing 'cd ./the_files_directory', going INTO psql command line, then issuing '\i the_backup.sql', and it's really fast. 8 seconds for 128 mbyte file.

PS,do this as user 'postgres' on the system.
</note to future>

Probably, you were right, it was pg_dump. It says 'database dump' in the file at the top.

As far as which version it came from, that was 2 years ago, I couldn't tell you. And it doesn't say in the file.

I successfully imported it into 8.4.11.

The errors were always 'illegal command', 10s of thousands of them. As far as what I did 2 years ago, I can't remember 2 days ago, sorry about that ;-) Yes it is a plan text dump. I don't have huge databases yet, so to make it easier to go between versions, I use a text backup.

Hope that answers your questions.

Dennis Gearon

Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."