Re: Executable files in CVS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Executable files in CVS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Um.  Can anyone else check into those files now?

> Yes, I think so.  The file used to be owned by Peter, but now by me:

Oh, okay.  I had the idea they should all be owned by the cvs daemon,
but I guess that's not required.
>     -r--rw-r--  1 petere   pgsql  19139 Nov 23 17:42 Makefile,v
>     -r--r--r--  1 momjian  pgsql  86195 Nov 23 19:00 initdb.c,v
>     -r--r--r--  1 petere   pgsql    299 Nov 23 17:41 nls.mk,v

Hmmm ... why is the Makefile group-writable?

I did this to look for other permissions issues:

find . -type f -a -perm +313 | grep -v /Attic/ | xargs ls -l

The following files look dubious to me:

contrib/README
contrib/lo/Makefile
doc/FAQ_hungarian
src/backend/catalog/system_views.sql
src/backend/port/tas/solaris_i386.s
src/backend/port/tas/solaris_sparc.s
src/interfaces/jdbc/example/corba/stock.idl
src/pl/tcl/modules/pltcl_delmod.in
src/pl/tcl/modules/pltcl_listmod.in
src/pl/tcl/modules/pltcl_loadmod.in
src/test/locale/koi8-r/test-koi8.sql.in

The other things that are executable look like they legitimately are
scripts.

If we consider that group-writability is bad (which ISTM we ought to)
then there are a *ton* of files with the wrong permissions.  I'd
recommend getting Marc to fix it instead of hacking about with a
one-file-at-a-time method.