Re: pg_dump ordering problem (rc4) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_dump ordering problem (rc4)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Having now looked at pg_dump more closely, I'm not at all sure I want to
> make the change directly in pg_dump. The reason is that I am trying to move
> version-specific stuff from pg_dump, and I currently get a view definition
> by doing 'select pg_getviewdef(<name>)' (rather than looking up the rule etc).

> Would people mind me adding a 'pg_getviewoid(<name>)' for pg_dump's use?

While that would be a clean solution, it would mean that the problem
will remain until 7.2, because you don't get to assume another initdb
until 7.2.  I don't think we want to wait that long; I want to see a fix
of some kind in 7.1.1.

A possible compromise is to do a direct lookup of the OID in 7.1.*
with plans to replace it with some backend-side solution in 7.2 and
beyond.