Re: Another review of URI for libpq, v7 submission - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Another review of URI for libpq, v7 submission
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Excerpts from Alvaro Herrera's message of jue abr 05 19:10:25 -0300 2012:

> I think the only thing I'm not really sure about is the usage of the
> <synopsis> tag to mark example URIs in the docs.  It looks to me that
> they should mostly be <literal> instead, but I'm not really sure about
> that either -- I'm suspecting the PDF output would look rather horrible.

Some moments of radical thinking later, I became unhappy with the fact
that the conninfo stuff and parameter keywords are all crammed in the
PQconnectdbParams description.  This feels wrong to me, even more so
after we expand it even more to add URIs to the mix.  I think it's
better to create a separate sect1 (which I've entitled "Connection
Strings") which explains the conninfo and URI formats as well as
accepted keywords.  The new section is referenced from the multiple
places that need it, without having to point to PQconnectdbParams.

Thoughts?

Wording suggestions are welcome.

dblink_connect docs should also have a mention of URIs now:

alvherre=# select dblink_connect('postgresql://localhost:55432');
 dblink_connect
 OK
(1 fila)

Attachment