Re: patch for parallel pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: patch for parallel pg_dump
Date
Re: patch for parallel pg_dump  (Joachim Wieland <joe@mcknight.de>)
List pgsql-hackers
Excerpts from Robert Haas's message of mié mar 28 14:46:30 -0300 2012:

> I keep hoping someone who knows Windows is going to take a look at
> this, but so far no luck.  It could also really use some attention
> from someone who has an actual really big database handy, to see how
> successful it is in reducing the dump time.  Without those things, I
> can't see this getting committed.  But in the meantime, a few fairly
> minor comments based on reading the code.

My main comment about the current patch is that it looks like it's
touching pg_restore parallel code by moving some stuff into parallel.c.
If that's really the case and its voluminous, maybe this patch would
shrink a bit if we could do the code moving in a first patch.  That
would be mostly mechanical.  Then the interesting stuff would apply on
top of that.  That would make review easier.