Re: Proper way to restore from a basebackup without the WAL-files? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Gustav Karlsson
Subject Re: Proper way to restore from a basebackup without the WAL-files?
Date
List pgsql-admin
Thanks everyone for your answers and pointing me to relevant documentation! I will attempt to do a dump and restore immediately after pg_resetxlog and see where that leaves me.

It is indeed a one off for us. Generally we have a complete WAL-history.

Regards,
Gustav

On Dec 15, 2015, at 7:58 PM, Keith <keith@keithf4.com> wrote:

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 1:19 PM, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 11:47 AM, John Scalia <jayknowsunix@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you absolutely must use the pg_basebackup as your source and I'm assuming
> you have a tarball without any of WAL files, you could expand the tarball
> into you data directory, and use pg_resetxlog to "fool" the master into
> starting up. I only say "fool" as it just builds you a blank WAL file which
> this system can use as its integrity check and properly start.

Please note that this will generally leave you with a corrupted
cluster; you would be well advised to follow the advice in the
documentation:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/interactive/app-pgresetxlog.html

--
Kevin Grittner