[REASSIGN confusion] - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Michael Anderson
Subject [REASSIGN confusion]
Date
List pgsql-admin
I'm confused about the usage (or purpose) of REASSIGN.
If I've understood the docs correctly, REASSIGN changes the ownership of
all database owned by old_role to new_role, as well as all objects on
the *currently* connected database.

It seems to me that the most common task for an administrator would be
to either:

change ownership of all objects on a single database owned by old_role
without affecting any other databases
or
change ownership of all objects on all databases owned by old_role.

As I understand it, I can't use REASSIGN to perform either of these
tasks. Or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Mike

Michael Anderson
IT Services & Support

elego Software Solutions GmbH
Gustav-Meyer-Allee 25
Building 12.3 (BIG) room 227
13355 Berlin, Germany

phone +49 30 23 45 86 96      michael.anderson at elegosoft.com
fax   +49 30 23 45 86 95      http://www.elegosoft.com

Geschaeftsfuehrer: Olaf Wagner, Sitz Berlin Amtsgericht
Berlin-Charlottenburg, HRB 77719, USt-IdNr: DE163214194