Re: pgsql: Remove function names from error messages - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgsql: Remove function names from error messages
Date
List pgsql-committers
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 05:53:48PM +0000, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Remove function names from error messages

> I am spotting a couple of extra ones for functions:
> src/backend/access/transam/xlog.c:
> (errmsg("pg_stop_backup cleanup done, waiting for required WAL segments
> to be archived")));
> src/backend/access/transam/xlog.c:
> (errmsg("pg_stop_backup still waiting for all required WAL segments to
> be archived (%d seconds elapsed)",

> Perhaps these could be improved as well?

Those are at least reporting SQL function names that the user will
recognize ... still, we don't normally localize error messages
by the reporting function name, so I tend to agree that these are
not following the style guide.

            regards, tom lane