Re: gaps/overlaps in a time table : current and previous row question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: gaps/overlaps in a time table : current and previous row question
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 2011-10-05 at 15:35 +0200, thomas veymont wrote:
> hello,
>
> let's say that each rows in a table contains a start time and a end
> time ("timeinterval" type),
> but the index are not ordered nor consecutive, e.g :

I think your question has already been answered, but I thought you might
be interested in:

Period data type:
http://pgxn.org/dist/temporal/

Or Exclusion Constraints, which can prevent overlapping ranges:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-createtable.html#SQL-CREATETABLE-EXCLUDE

Also, I'm currently working on a feature called Range Types, which will
hopefully be in 9.2.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis