Re: SSI error messages - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: SSI error messages
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Excerpts from Peter Eisentraut's message of mié jul 27 16:19:22 -0400 2011:
> On lör, 2011-07-16 at 15:01 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Well, as I mentioned in the commit message, I've thought for some time
> > that there were use cases for errdetail_internal.  Whether these
> > particular places in predicate.c use it or not doesn't affect that.
>
> Looking at commit 1af37ec96d97722aeb527f5f43d6f6f2304f0861, not all of
> these are strings that don't need to be translated.  For example, you
> can't assume that the translation of "%s: %s" is "%s: %s" or that the
> translation of "%s (%x)" is "%s (%x)".  I'll review those in detail when
> I find some time, but some of them will probably have to be reverted.

Hmm, if "%s: %s" has different uses in different places, we're going to
need a more involved solution because they might not translate
identically.

In any case, we need /* translator: */ comments to explain what's going
on.