Re: Why polecat and colugos are failing to build back branches - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Why polecat and colugos are failing to build back branches
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On tis, 2011-06-14 at 18:09 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > On 06/14/2011 05:45 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> I've committed patches that fix these issues on my own OS X machine,
>
> > Well, OSX is just using our usual *nix paraphernalia, so if it's broken
> > won't all such platforms probably be broken too?
>
> Yes, certainly.  The reason I specified OS X in particular is that I
> only tested the darwin branch of Makefile.shlib.  The -install_name
> switch that was the problem there is specific to OS X, but I wouldn't
> be surprised if some of the other branches have their own platform-
> specific issues.
>
> > I'd actually bet a modest amount MSVC is less broken
>
> Very possibly, but unless it's being tested it's no sure bet.

Here is some historical reference:

http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/200512231739.47400.peter_e@gmx.net

I fixed installation into directories containing spaces back then, in
light of upcoming Windows and Mac support, but apparently some corner
cases had remained or crept back in, for lack of testing.

Building in a directory with spaces has always worked, and AFAICT, what
Tom committed also concerns only the installation directory.

Some problems like vpath that the above message mentioned remain, as
others have pointed out.

As a secondary point, we have so far used mostly single quotes for
quoting the installation directories, in case someone wants to try other
funny characters besides spaces.  The most recent patch uses double
quotes.  I'm not sure what degree of support we want to achieve there.