Re: [BUGS] BUG #6034: pg_upgrade fails when it should not. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [BUGS] BUG #6034: pg_upgrade fails when it should not.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On ons, 2011-06-01 at 13:21 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> > On FreeBSD, locale names appear to be case-sensitive:
>
> > $ LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 locale charmap
> > UTF-8
>
> > $ LC_ALL=en_US.utf-8 locale charmap
> > US-ASCII
>
> Hm, surely the latter result indicates that "en_US.utf-8" is not in fact
> a valid locale name?
>
> It would only be a problem if different case-foldings of the same name
> represented valid but different locales on some platform, and that seems
> rather hard to believe (it would be a pretty foolish choice no?).

Well, initdb still succeeds if you give it an invalid locale name.  It
warns, but that can easily be missed if initdb is hidden behind a few
other layers.  If you then run pg_upgrade, you get a hosed instance.