Re: timestamp with time zone output incorrect - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: timestamp with time zone output incorrect
Date
List pgsql-general
> On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 06:30:27PM +1200, Steve Martin wrote:
>> => show timezone ;
>> TimeZone
>> -------------
>> NZST-12NZDT
>> (1 row)

> I have no idea what timezone that it. Presumably it switches between
> daylight savings and non-daylight savings based on the US rules?

Yeah, that's a POSIX zone spec.  See

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/datatype-datetime.html#DATATYPE-TIMEZONES

As noted there, if the OP really really wants to spell his zone name
that way, he could fool with the "posixrules" file in the timezone
database.  But Pacific/Auckland is probably better.  (I don't remember
whether 8.1 would honor changes in "posixrules".)

            regards, tom lane