Re: UUID data format 4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: UUID data format 4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x
Date
Re: UUID data format 4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
>> I am working on a patch to support this format (yes, it is a simple
>> modification).

> I'd suggest writing a formatting function for UUIDs instead.

That seems like overkill, if not outright encouragement of people to
come up with yet other nonstandard formats for UUIDs.

I think the question we have to answer is whether we want to be
complicit in the spreading of a nonstandard UUID format.  Even if
we answer "yes" for this HP case, it doesn't follow that we should
create a mechanism for anybody to do anything with 'em.  That way
lies the madness people already have to cope with for datetime
data :-(