Re: UUID data format 4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: UUID data format 4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom,

> I think the question we have to answer is whether we want to be
> complicit in the spreading of a nonstandard UUID format.  Even if
> we answer "yes" for this HP case, it doesn't follow that we should
> create a mechanism for anybody to do anything with 'em.  That way
> lies the madness people already have to cope with for datetime
> data :-(

Well, I guess the question is: if we don't offer some builtin way to render
non-standard formats built into company products, will those companies fix
their format or just not use PostgreSQL?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun