Re: UUID data format 4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: UUID data format 4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x
Date
Re: UUID data format 4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 08:58:01AM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Well, I guess the question is: if we don't offer some builtin way to render
> non-standard formats built into company products, will those companies fix
> their format or just not use PostgreSQL?

Well, there is an advantage that Postgres has that some others don't: you
can extend Postgres pretty easily.  That suggests to me a reason to be
conservative in what we "build in".  This is consistent with the principle,
"Be conservative in what you send, and liberal in what you accept."