Re: Proposal for a PostgreSQL Print Magazine - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Proposal for a PostgreSQL Print Magazine
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On tor, 2011-03-10 at 23:53 +0100, damien clochard wrote:
> I think that would be great to have a print media to keep in touch
> with this large user base, because these are the folks that will
> recommend PostgreSQL to their clients, co-workers, directors, etc.

That sounds nice and all, but this is 2011.  There is a reason that
print media are struggling worldwide: the economics don't work out
anymore.  Aside from the difficulties to set up a company of editors,
writers, layout experts, etc., how will you arrange printing and
distribution?

About distributing this at conferences: I fear it's ultimately going to
be giveaway-CD 2.0: everyone grabs one, most will throw it away.

What would be useful is an electronic medium that is somewhere above
planet.  Think LWN for PostgreSQL: quality-controlled articles published
on a regular schedule.  You still need to have some editors and some
technical staff, but the barrier to get it started is much lower, you
will reach a much larger audience, and you can still make print editions
or iPad apps out of the content later on.