Just installed using Fink on OS X. Fails all over the place. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From guyren@mac.com (Guyren G Howe)
Subject Just installed using Fink on OS X. Fails all over the place.
Date
List pgsql-general
Did an install on OS X 10.2, using Fink with default settings.

First, it utterly ignores $PGDATA. I can do echo $PGDATA just fine,
but when I do

initdb

I get

initdb: You must identify where the the data for this database
system will reside.  Do this with either a -D invocation
option or a PGDATA environment variable.

So now I do

initdb -D ~/databases

which seems to run fine. Then I run the commands it tells me to run:

    sudo -u root sudo -u pgsql /sw/bin/pg_ctl \
        -D /Users/<me>/databases -l /sw/var/log/postgresql/logfile
start

and I get

shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access
parent directories: Permission denied
postmaster successfully started

alright; now I try all this as postgres:

su postgres

initdb ~/databases

which works fine. Then I do

    sudo -u root sudo -u pgsql /sw/bin/pg_ctl \
        -D /Users/postgres/databases -l /sw/var/log/postgresql/logfile
start

and I get

postgres% shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot
access parent directories: Permission denied
shell-init:: Too many arguments.
postmaster successfully started

There are other problems, but I'll start with this.

Thanks!