Pandora - Database Administrator - Oakland, CA - Mailing list pgsql-jobs

From Brett Uyeshiro
Subject Pandora - Database Administrator - Oakland, CA
Date
List pgsql-jobs
We have terrific opportunities in Database Administration for innovative,
inspired problem solvers who are enthusiastic about scaling Pandora's
storage platforms to support our rapidly expanding community of listeners.
With the right skills and experience you will be managing Pandora's 24x7
terabyte scale Postgres clusters.  You¹ll get the chance to take on
complex and interesting problems as part of a fast-paced, highly
collaborative team.

We've built a complex cluster around PostgreSQL for scalability and high
availability. It's imperative that you approach administration with an
emphasis on repeatability, testability and consistency. The demands on
this system are increasing rapidly as we grow the userbase and add more
functionality. We're looking for individuals who can help us continue to
scale our queries, our systems and our hardware to meet our growing needs.
We're also looking for someone who has a deep understanding of hardware
architecture and understands how to tune database systems appropriately
based on a particular architecture. You will be expected to come up to
speed quickly on difficult problems, become a significant contributor to a
hard-working team, and to take pride in your work.
Requirements

* A deep understanding of database systems and the factors that affect
distributed system performance-strong preference for folks with PostgreSQL
experience
* Minimum 5 years experience developing and administering database
infrastructure for mission critical applications.
* Strong SQL skills and deep experience writing stored procedures.
* Experience maintaining large databases(>1TB)
* Experience developing stored procedures (PL/pgSQL)
* Experience supporting redundant systems with 24X7 availability
requirement
* A deep understanding of database design principals
* Thorough knowledge of current hardware systems, RAID and disk subsystems
commonly used in fault tolerant production environments + Ability to
proactively identify, troubleshoot and resolve live database systems issues
* Strong scripting and automation skills (Shell, Python, etc)
* BS or better in Computer Science or a related field.
* Hadoop or other NoSQL administration experience a plus

Core Technologies

* Linux
* PostgreSQL
* Slony