PostgreSQL Opportunity - Mailing list pgsql-jobs

From Mike Camardo
Subject PostgreSQL Opportunity
Date
List pgsql-jobs

Dave,

Thank you for directing me to this email.  I have been looking to fill a PostgreSQL DBA position here in either Baltimore, MD or New York, NY.  This is a full time permanent position.  We are looking for a skilled midlevel individual with about 4-5 years PostgreSQL experience to learn and grow with our company.  If you think you are the right fit or know someone who is I’d love to hear from you.  Thank you for your time and Have a great day.

DBA

We are a flexible and progressive group. We work closely with developers, operations, and client groups to provide a "full stack" perspective on providing highly available data services at scale. We believe a polyglot approach to databases is the best way to learn and to solve today’s challenging data problems. Sure, everyone has their favorites, but understanding database fundamentals and how the properties of different database systems interact with applications and operating systems is a key to our success.

About The Job

Most people have that one company they worked for that did thousands of transactions per second, or had that one terabyte level database they once worked on. At OmniTI these types of challenges are the norm. You will get a chance to build out complex multi-server environments working with multiple database technologies, and you'll have a rock solid team to support you as you do it. Common problems you'll be solving include:

  • Monitoring databases for problems and diagnosing where those problems are.
  • Working with senior engineers to maintain scalable, reliable, and robust database environments.
  • Working with developers on performance tuning, query optimization, and index tuning.
  • Building database tools and scripts to simplify, automate, or solve the problems vendors leave behind.
  • Provide 24x7 escalated on-call support on a pager rotation.

Requirements & Education:

  • 3-4+ years working with two or more databases systems including Postgres, MySQL, Oracle, or MSSQL.
  • 4+ years working in Unix/Linux environments, particularly with web facing systems.
  • Proficient tuning database processes and queries, both physically and logically.
  • A solid understanding of database replication, including Master-Slave, Master-Master, and Distributed setups.
  • Ability to work cooperatively with software engineers and system administrators.
  • Excellent communication skills.
  • Exceptional problem-solving expertise and attention to detail.
  • The ability to remain calm in the face of extreme crises.
  • BS in Computer Science or equivalent.

Bonus

  • Work from Fulton, MD, or NYC office
  • Familiarity with additional database systems (Riak, Hadoop, MongoDB)
  • You can build a complete web environment armed with a network connection and a shell prompt
  • Comfortable with C

Sincerely,

Mike Camardo | Technical Recruiter

CPSI

443.830.2011 (Direct) | 410.455.0311 (Fax)

mike.c@cpsiconsulting.com

IT Consulting, Staffing & Direct Hire

Washington, DC | Baltimore | Philadelphia

Attachment