Re: Use UNKNOWN with PL/Perl spi_prepare()? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Use UNKNOWN with PL/Perl spi_prepare()?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"David E. Wheeler" <david@kineticode.com> writes:
> DBD::Pg makes extensive use of unknown for prepares. If I do
>     my $sth = $dbh->prepare('SELECT foo FROM bar WHERE baz = ?');
> DBD::Pg effectively sends:
>     PREPARE dbdpg_1(unknown) AS SELECT from FROM bar WHERE baz = ?';

Somehow, emulating the above doesn't attract me nearly as much as it
evidently does you.  What happens in cases where the parser is unable
to infer a data type, or infers the wrong one?  Or even if it does
infer a type, how do you find out what it inferred?  I'm not excited
about building a capability that fails to address any except the simplest
use case.