Re: WIP: RangeTypes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: WIP: RangeTypes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2011-01-28 at 10:41 -0800, David E. Wheeler wrote:
> +1 in principal. I think we should try to avoid the user of the term
> "period" if possible, and I see definite benefits to a simple model of
> $typename . 'range';

Interesting, I didn't realize that PERIOD was such an undesirable type
name.

> Is there GIN support? GIN seems to be the preferred index type for
> this sort of thing, no?

GiST is the natural index access method if we approach ranges as a
spatial type. I don't quite know what you have in mind for GIN; what
keys would you extract from the value '[1.23,4.56)' ?

Regards,Jeff Davis