Re: ToDo List Item - System Table Index Clustering - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: ToDo List Item - System Table Index Clustering
Date
Re: ToDo List Item - System Table Index Clustering  (Simone Aiken <saiken@ulfheim.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Excerpts from Simone Aiken's message of dom ene 16 02:11:26 -0300 2011:

> Hello Postgres Hackers,
>
> In reference to this todo item about clustering system table indexes,
> ( http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-05/msg00989.php )
> I have been studying the system tables to see which would benefit  from
> clustering.  I have some index suggestions and a question if you have a
> moment.

Wow, this is really old stuff.  I don't know if this is really of any
benefit, given that these catalogs are loaded into syscaches anyway.
Furthermore, if you cluster at initdb time, they will soon lose the
ordering, given that updates move tuples around and inserts put them
anywhere.  So you'd need the catalogs to be re-clustered once in a
while, and I don't see how you'd do that (except by asking the user to
do it, which doesn't sound so great).

I think you need some more discussion on the operational details before
engaging in the bootstrap bison stuff (unless you just want to play with
Bison for educational purposes, of course, which is always a good thing
to do).