Re: "as quickly as possible" (was: remove spurious CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY wait) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: "as quickly as possible" (was: remove spurious CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY wait)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2020-Nov-19, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> By the way, it strikes me that you could just do nothing as long as
>> (log_min_messages > DEBUG1), so you could encapsulate most of the
>> logic that plays with the lock tag using that.

> Good idea, done.

I'm less sure that that's a good idea.  It embeds knowledge here that
should not exist outside elog.c; moreover, I'm not entirely sure that
it's even correct, given the nonlinear ranking of log_min_messages.

Maybe it'd be a good idea to have elog.c expose a new function
along the lines of "bool message_level_is_interesting(int elevel)"
to support this and similar future optimizations in a less fragile way.