Re: Basic Tutorials for 9.0 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vincent Veyron
Subject Re: Basic Tutorials for 9.0
Date
List pgsql-general
Le lundi 15 novembre 2010 à 08:17 +0100, Alban Hertroys a écrit :

> > I have only used MS Access (for years).  My difficulties are very basic.
> > When I said I can't view the data in the data base, I meant basically - with
> > any method.  The psql help shows many ommands for displaying.  My basic
> > difficulties are: Choosing the right one(s), determining whether I have used
> > it correctly, knowing whether I have actually put data in the db.

to work with psql you need three things :
1- a basic knowledge of relational databases concepts
2- some familiarity with a command line interface
3- much reading of the excellent postgresql documentation

Working with psql is very similar to typing some SQL in a querydef, and
clicking on 'Execute' to see the result, except you do it for everything
(data inserts, exports, relations, etc...), and then type 'Enter'.

So as noted in the doc, to add a primary key to a table, instead of
opening the table in creation mode and clicking on the little key, you
type :
ALTER TABLE distributors ADD PRIMARY KEY (dist_id);

(see http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/sql-altertable.html)

It's disconcerting when you're used to a GUI , but one gets to like it.
Just learn the sql (it's very similar to Access (Jet's) SQL), you'll
find that you have more control in the end.

there are GUI available for PostgreSQL (for instance : pgadmin), but I
never tried them.

> > A pointer to a detailed tutorial would be great.

Read the doc, more.

--
Vincent Veyron
http://marica.fr/