Re: UNION/INTERSECT in subselects - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: UNION/INTERSECT in subselects
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Florent Guillaume <efge@mail.com> writes:
> In the grammar we have :
>   in_expr:  SubSelect | ...
> but SubSelect doesn't allow UNIONs, only select_clause does.

> Could in_expr be changed to use select_clause instead without adverse
> ill effects ?

Unfortunately the problems with union/intersect/except go a lot deeper
than the grammar.  Take a look at the rewriter and the planner, if
you have a strong stomach.  They're just not built to deal with these
constructs except at the top level of a query.  (The executor would
likely work just fine, if only the upstream modules would give it a
valid plan ...)

I'm hoping to see this stuff cleaned up during the much-talked-of
querytree redesign that we plan for the 7.2 cycle.  AFAICS there is
no way to fix it without some pretty serious hacking on the querytree
representation of union etc.