Re: Support tab completion for upper character inputs in psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Support tab completion for upper character inputs in psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> writes:
> All usages of pg_string_tolower don't need a copy.
> So don't we change the function to in-place converter?

Doesn't seem like a good idea, because that locks us into an assumption
that the downcasing conversion doesn't change the string's physical
length.  There are a lot of counterexamples to that :-(.  I'm not sure
that we actually implement such cases correctly today, but let's not
build APIs that prevent it from being fixed.