Re: postgresql failover - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Subject Re: postgresql failover
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 13:33 +0400, Vasiliy G Tolstov wrote:
> I need failover postgresql installation. Two servers work's together.
> If one server fail - another server doing queries.
<snip>
> How can i do this in postgresql?

If you don't {have/want to use} shared storage, you can use WAL
replication:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/warm-standby.html

There are two tools that I can suggest for this. Walmgr:

http://pgfoundry.org/projects/skytools/

or pitrtools:

https://projects.commandprompt.com/public/pitrtools/

If you want to use shared storage, I'd suggest using Red Hat Cluster
Suite or such.

http://www.gunduz.org/download.php?dlid=142

is the link to the presentation that I made 4 years ago about this. We
have customer here who is using RHCS+PostgreSQL 8.4 on 4 servers, which
use shared storage and they failover each other whenever one of them
goes down.

You can also use Slony-I or Londiste, too.

Please note that 9.0 will ship with major features for this.

-HTH.
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
PostgreSQL RPM Repository: http://yum.pgrpms.org