Re: Aggressive autovacuuming ? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Aggressive autovacuuming ?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Excerpts from Scott Marlowe's message of dom jun 20 16:13:15 -0400 2010:
> On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 11:44 AM, Jesper Krogh <jesper@krogh.cc> wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I have been wondering if anyone has been experimenting with "really
> > agressive"
> > autovacuuming.
>
> I have been using moderately aggressive autovac, with 6 or more
> threads running with 1ms sleep, then keeping track of them to see if
> they're being too aggresive.  Basically as long as io utilization
> doesn't hit 100% it doesn't seem to have any negative or even
> noticeable effect.

Keep in mind that autovacuum scales down the cost limit the more workers
there are.  So if you have 10ms sleeps and 1 worker, it should roughly
use a similar amount of I/O than if you have 10ms sleeps and 10 workers
(each worker would sleep 10 times more frequently).