Re: How to pass around collation information - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: How to pass around collation information
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On tor, 2010-06-03 at 07:30 -0500, David Christensen wrote:
> How does collation relate to per-table/column encodings?

There is some connection between collations and character sets or
encodings, because a collation is tied to one of those, just as a
necessity of implementation (depending on implementation details).  You
could have per-column (or per-some-other-small-unit) collation with a
global encoding, but a per-column encoding with a global collation
wouldn't work.

> For that matter, are per-table/column encodings spec,

Yes.

>  and/or something that we're looking to implement down the line?

I don't think anyone is seriously planning that.  But per-column
collations would have to come first, anyway.

Of course there is always the possibility that someone comes up with an
alternative plan that invalidates the above, but the above represents
the facts from the SQL standard and other implementations.