Re: Delay locking partitions during INSERT and UPDATE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: Delay locking partitions during INSERT and UPDATE
Date
Re: Delay locking partitions during INSERT and UPDATE  (John Naylor <john.naylor@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers

On 1/24/19 10:34 PM, John Naylor wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 4:17 PM Tomas Vondra
> <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> I can still see about the same performance as before (on both clusters).
>
> Thanks for checking! I think the thing to do now is have a committer
> look at it. It's a small patch with obvious performance effects --
> there's just the question of whether the locking behavior with
> concurrent DDL is as safe as it is now.
>
> Anyone have anything else?

Yes, I don't see why would the patch change that and I've been looking
for such cases. I think David was looking at that this week too, and I
assume he'll send an update if he finds anything. If not, I plan to get
it committed soon-ish (possibly next week after the FOSDEM dev meeting,
unless there are some objections).

regards