Re: Understanding 'could not read block' - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Understanding 'could not read block'
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 2009-09-24 at 05:14 -0700, stevesub wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a table of about 693 million rows (80gb) of position data (standard
> object,timestamp,position,etc).
>
> Every time I try to build some statistics by creating a table, such as:
> > create table pos_stats1 as
> > select id,year,month,count(1) from positions group by id,year,month;
>
> I get an error:
> > ERROR:  could not read block 8519713 of temporary file: Permission denied
>
> I get a similar error sometimes on indexes.  What problem am I hitting here?
> The drive and permissions all seem fine & the query runs for a long time
> before hitting this error.  I've turned off virus scan & it seems to have no
> effect.

It means the permissions on the physical file are such that your
postgres service user can't read them.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor
If the world pushes look it in the eye and GRR. Then push back harder. - Salamander