Re: "Too far out of the mainstream" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: "Too far out of the mainstream"
Date
Re: "Too far out of the mainstream"  (Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>)
Re: "Too far out of the mainstream"  (Chris Travers <chris.travers@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> writes:
> On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 7:25 AM, Chris Travers <chris.travers@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 1)  While MySQL is perhaps better marketed, PostgreSQL is an older project
>> with a proud heritage (Informix started as a Postgres fork), and top-rate

> Pretty sure that's not true.  Ingres is a cousin of Postgres started
> by the same guy, Stonebraker, but it's not a fork either.

He didn't say Ingres.

Illustra was a commercial fork of Postgres (the pre-SQL versions, I
think).  It was later bought out by Informix.  I don't have any info
on how much of that code base survives in the modern (IBM-owned)
version of Informix - but one could assume there's at least some.

            regards, tom lane