Re: "Too far out of the mainstream" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Travers
Subject Re: "Too far out of the mainstream"
Date
List pgsql-general

On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 8:01 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> writes:
> On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 7:25 AM, Chris Travers <chris.travers@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 1)  While MySQL is perhaps better marketed, PostgreSQL is an older project
>> with a proud heritage (Informix started as a Postgres fork), and top-rate

> Pretty sure that's not true.  Ingres is a cousin of Postgres started
> by the same guy, Stonebraker, but it's not a fork either.

He didn't say Ingres.

Illustra was a commercial fork of Postgres (the pre-SQL versions, I
think).  It was later bought out by Informix.  I don't have any info
on how much of that code base survives in the modern (IBM-owned)
version of Informix - but one could assume there's at least some.

Also whether Informix still has Postgres code, the heritage is quite obvious when you start looking at things like OID's and table inheritance.

I checked and it was pre-SQL when the fork occurred, and in fact Illustra moved to SQL first.  This probably explains a lot of differences (such as in how table inheritance works in Informix vs Postgres).

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers