Re: Small psql memory fix - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Small psql memory fix
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 11:28:49PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> The first and third hunks look to me like they introduce memory
>> leaks, not fix them.  The second hunk is probably safe enough,

> The first and third just move the free into blocks where we have already
> tested the value is not null.  It just more clearly matches the
> surrounding code.  Do you see something different?

[ looks closer... ]  OK, they're not actually broken, but I question
whether they're improvements.  The existing coding is clear enough
that the result of psql_scan_slash_option will be freed.  What you're
doing is conflating that requirement with some other processing.

>> although I'm not sure the case can actually occur --- gset should
>> free the prefix before any new backslash command can be executed.

> Oh, interesting idea.  Updated patch attached.

I don't think that's an improvement at all.  My point was that I
didn't think gset_prefix would ever be set at entry to this code,
because the setting should never survive for more than one backslash
command execution cycle.

If you want to add probably-useless code to free it, go ahead, but
this isn't a clearer way to do that than your previous version.