Re: Relocatable installs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Relocatable installs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> Is there a reason why we can't use a PGSQL_PREFIX ENV variable or
>> something like that?  If not defined, use compiled in default?

> Win32 isn't going to be able to define that.

And this idea is even worse than the other one as far as destroying
the predictability of the search goes :-(.

ISTM that just about every place we have made the backend's behavior
dependent on environment variables, we have had cause to regret it.
It's too easy to screw up by launching the postmaster under a different
environment than you normally do.