Re: Oracle to buy Sun - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Oracle to buy Sun
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Mon, 2009-04-20 at 14:31 -0400, Greg Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Apr 2009, Melanie wrote:
>
> > not sure opensource database like PostgreSQL would suffice to say Oracle
> > doesn't have a monopoly.
>
> Adding MySQL to Oracle's market share is barely moving it.  Oracle's big
> competitors are IBM and Microsoft.  According to
> http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssTechMediaTelecomNews/idUSN2634118720080826
> at the end of 2007 it was:
>
> Oracle:  48.6%
> IBM:  20.7%
> Microsoft:  18.1%

Although your point is valid these numbers don't reflect reality. It is
like saying someone has X percentage of the operating system market. You
can't quantify how many servers there are that are running Linux because
most people don't pay for it.

The same applies to MySQL and I think that is the real reason why Oracle
won't care about MySQL. Not because it won't add market share but
because it won't make them any money. 50 million a year is nothing to
Oracle.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--