Re: Is PostgreSQL supported on RHEL6? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Is PostgreSQL supported on RHEL6?
Date
List pgsql-general
"MauMau" <maumau307@gmail.com> writes:
> Now I'm trying to support both RHEL5 and RHEL6 with minimal effort (but with
> safety). If possible, I want to continue to use PostgreSQL 8.3.12 built on
> RHEL5 for a while. Then, I'd like to ask some questions:

I'd recommend rebuilding the executables on RHEL6 if possible, but
otherwise this should be no problem.

> I could build 8.3.12 successfully with 167 compilation warnings that report
> "variable not used" and "uninitialized variable is used" etc. Even if I
> could run PostgreSQL, I'm not sure that it is safe.

You can reasonably assume those are cosmetic.  Newer compilers tend to
be pickier about that sort of thing than older ones, so we fix those
sorts of warnings when we see them.  If any of them had represented
actual bugs, we'd have back-patched the fixes into 8.3.x.

> I searched the PostgreSQL mailing lists with "RHEL6" and found the
> discussion regarding wal_sync_method and O_DSYNC/O_SYNC. The following fix
> in 8.3.13 makes me wonder if I should update with 8.3.14 which is the latest
> version of 8.3 series.

That would be a good idea in any case.

            regards, tom lane