Re: Startup messages for socket protocol - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Startup messages for socket protocol
Date
List pgsql-general
Guillaume Yziquel <guillaume.yziquel@citycable.ch> writes:
> However, when I try to send this as the first thing, I get disconnected
> by the server. Reading what the psql program does, I first get an 8 byte
> message containing this:

>             \000\000\000\008\004\210\022/

> This seems to work, but I'm at a loss pinpointing in the libpq source
> code where that would fit in the protocol.

[ scratches head... ]  You should be getting either an ErrorResponse
message or some AuthenticationXXX variant, and both of those would start
with an ASCII character ('E' or 'R').  I'm not sure what the above could
be, unless maybe you're somehow triggering an SSL startup handshake ---
but the first returned byte should be an 'S' in that case.  Are you sure
you've correctly identified what is payload data, versus what's TCP
overhead or something like that?

It might also be enlightening to look into the server's log, especially
if you were to crank log_min_messages way up so it logs debug stuff.

            regards, tom lane