Re: 8.4 release planning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: 8.4 release planning
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > FWIW, I'll comment that what we're seeing here is nothing new.

> Meanwhile it's emerging that the selinux people don't feel qualified to
> review it either.  I'm not quite sure what to do about that.  But "throw
> it in there on faith" doesn't sound like an appealing answer, and I've
> got no idea how long it will take to work out a non-faith-based answer.

O.k. maybe it is time to consider something non-traditional. What about
two 8.4 releases?

8.4-stable
8.4-experimental

stable is everything that stable is. PostgreSQL at its best.

experimental is the day after we branch. Same catalog version but
contains say SEPostgres and Hot Standby etc...

8.4-experimental gives people a stable same version compatible version
to test at their leisure. We support it until 8.5 comes out. At 8.5,
those features are merged (or ripped out) into 8.5-stable.

Yes I know this is non-standard for our community but maybe it is time
to crank it up a notch?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--