Re: 8.4 release planning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: 8.4 release planning
Date
Re: 8.4 release planning  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
2009/1/27 Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com>:
>> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
>> > FWIW, I'll comment that what we're seeing here is nothing new.
>
>> Meanwhile it's emerging that the selinux people don't feel qualified to
>> review it either.  I'm not quite sure what to do about that.  But "throw
>> it in there on faith" doesn't sound like an appealing answer, and I've
>> got no idea how long it will take to work out a non-faith-based answer.
>>

> O.k. maybe it is time to consider something non-traditional. What about
> two 8.4 releases?
>
> 8.4-stable
> 8.4-experimental
>
> stable is everything that stable is. PostgreSQL at its best.

I dislike this idea - it's same like short processed 8.5 - that is
more simple. Actually current base 8.4 has lot of features, enough for
people, so it could be released. 8.5 should be implemented in shorted
cycle - only one commitfest, that is enough (+3 month) for well
completing SE and replication patches. In czech, big users started
testing and using 8.3, and propably skip 8.4. For small projects
should be 8.4 available early.

regards
Pavel Stehule